Advisers Roles and Responsibilities
- With the participant, review the Congressional Award requirements and guidelines as provided in the program booklet.
- Assist the participant in setting goals that are personally challenging, achievable, worthwhile, measurable and fulfilling.
- Complete the Summary of Goal Plan and Expedition/Exploration Plan with the participant.
- Help the participant identify appropriate activities and qualified validators for each goal.
- Maintain periodic contact with the participant while he or she works toward the Congressional Award.
- If the participant needs to revise goals, help him or her set new goals and find activities to achieve them.
- Encourage the participant to obtain written comments and signatures from his or her validators as soon as an individual goal has been met.
- Once the participant has completed the set activities for a given Award level, review his or her records and help complete the record book.
- Please be sure to provide written comments. Advisor comments are often used to show progress that youth are making.
- Make a copy of the record book for the participant.
- Once the participant has mailed in the record book, work with him or her to set new goals and begin working on the next level of the Award.
Validators Role and Responsibilities
- Review the Congressional Award requirements and guidelines listed in the participant’s program booklet.
- Discuss the specific requirements for the program area in which you’ll be working with the participant.
- Help the participant identify his or her starting level in a particular area of endeavor.
- Make certain that the participant’s goal is personally challenging, achievable, worthwhile, measurable, and fulfilling.
- Work with the participant to identify activities to help him or her reach the identified goal.
- Once minimum hours and duration of activities have been met in your program area, review all of the appropriate documentation and sign the record book. Please include comments.